Do you want to allow users to quickly choose items in your documents? Checkboxes are a great way to do this. You can add a checkbox next to each option in your document and viewers can make a selection.
All major word processors like Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, and Google Document allow adding checkboxes to documents.
Let’s see how to add a checkbox to your document in any of these three tools. There are two ways to add checkboxes to a Word document.
You can either add checkboxes that work for printed documents or add interactive boxes that can be selected in the digital document.
If you want to print your document, you just need to add a checkbox shape in your document. You don’t need interactive options because users are going to tick the options with their pens anyway.
You can do this by adding a bulleted list with the checkbox symbol next to the list items in your document. Your document will show it as an appropriate checkbox when you print it.
Here’s how you do it:
- Open the Word document in which you want to add checkboxes.
- Click the Home tab at the top if you’re not already there.
- Click the arrow icon next to Bullets option and select Define New Bullet
- Select Symbol from the options on your screen.
- You should see different symbols. Scroll down this list, find a checkbox icon, click on it, and hit OK at the bottom.
- Click OK again and you should see a checkbox in your document.
- You can now type your list of items and Word file will have a checkbox for each of your items.
Add checkboxes to a Word document
If you want your document viewers to allow digitally checkboxes in the Word application, you need to add interactive checkboxes to your document.
Word offers this as a developer option and you can enable it as follows:
- Launch a Microsoft Word document.
- Click the File tab at the top and select Options from the left sidebar.
- Select Customize Ribbon from the left sidebar and choose Main Tabs.
- Scroll through the list of options, select Developer and press OK at the bottom. This will add a new developer option to your Word tab list.
- Place the cursor where you want to add a checkbox in your document.
- Click the Developer tab at the top and select the Checkbox Content Control icon in the Controls section.
- Word will add an interactive checkbox to your document. You can click on this box and it will be checked.
How to add checkboxes to an Apple Pages document
If you are a Mac user, you are probably using Apple Pages for your documents. Pages offer the oIf you want to use checkboxes on a printed document, follow these steps to add checkboxes to your documents, but you cannot add interactive boxes yet.
- Open a new or existing document in Apple Pages.
- Click the dropdown menu next to Bullets and lists on the right and select the chip. This will launch a new bulleted list in your document.
- Click the arrow icon next to Bullets & Lists, select Image Bullets from the drop-down menu, and then click the Current Image option.
- You will see various checkbox images that you can add to your document. Click on the one you like and it will instantly appear on your document.
- You can specify the size and alignment of your checkboxes in the same Bullets & Lists section.
- If you can not find the exact image of the check box desired, you can download the image of the box to check on the Internet and import it into Pages.
- To do this, click the Custom Image option when you add a checkbox. This will allow you to select an image from your Mac to add to your document.
How to add checkboxes to a Google document
You can’t leave out Google Docs. This online word tool lets you add checkboxes to your documents, but again, these are only for documents you print and do not interact on the screen.
If that’s all you’re looking for, here’s how to add checkboxes to a Google document:
- Create a new document or open your existing document with Google Docs.
- Click the option that says Insert at the top and select Special Characters. This will allow you to add a checkbox as a special character in your document.
- On the next screen, place your cursor in the search box and check the type.
- On the left, you will see different styles of checkboxes to add. Click on the checkbox it will immediately appear on your document.
- You can preview your checkbox before closing the special characters menu.
If your checkboxes are too small or too large, you can resize them to your choice. To do this, check your boxes, click on the Font size option and select a size for your checkboxes.